Tuesday 14 June 2011

A place to read...

There aren't many new homes on the market in our search area this week so I thought I'd start to look at some of the things I'd like to include in our new home. Today I've chosen to look at home libraries... Here are a few that I came across.



I figure that considering we're looking to buy in the mountains that a good home library should include a cosy fire of some description.


I'm a fan of all things green, so it's fitting that the 1st two images use different shades of what I always find a relaxing colour...


I'm also a fan of dark colours so this one appealed to me. I think far too many people worry that a dark colour in a small space will make it appear smaller - If you like it go for it I say - the space is what it is!


The semi industrial look appeals to me... Not sure how many disused warehouse conversions I'd  find in the mountains - would love to get my hands on one if it were on offer!


I think a good library should also be home to great art. Not sure ours will be quite as grand as this one. (Well the cornices and ceiling treatments are a bit grander than what I'm imagining anyway!)



At the end of the day, much like the rest of the house we're aiming for - as long as it has character and is filled with love we'll be happy!


As I look at these images I can imagine being in the mountains on a cold rainy day, much like today - tucked away in the library, hopefully with an open fire crackling...

If you have a favourite pic let me know... I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Images courtesy of beautiful-libraries.com
ps Thanks for following - it's nice to know you're there!





8 comments:

  1. Have you discovered Pinterest? I have mentioned it to your lovely cousin, but she seems sensibly wary. It would be a great way for you to categorise all these lovely images.

    That's how I justify my Pinterest 'pins' ... "Oh, I'll show this kitchen/sunken lounge/laundry storage to an architect one day!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! No I haven't heard of it, sounds interesting, would like to know more. As soon as you think you've gotten your head around how to make the internet work for you or make life easier - you learn something new... (Not sure I want to learn something new everyday on the internet but every now and then is a good thing!)
    Hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these rooms, they are all so cozy...every home should have a library
    Claudia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Claudia,
    I agree, every home should have one - big or small, there is something inviting about a room full of well loved books... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Phillip,

    Beautiful selection of photos! I agree 100% - a library is a work of art in its own right.

    My favourite image was of the dark library from Elle Decor. You are right, people fear dark colour but it can be such a powerful thing. I think this picture is a wonderful example of it being used well.

    But more than just the colour the space feels so inviting. I love the idea of sitting at that dining table surrounded by some great friends, surounded by the beautiful books...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Oliver,
    It was one of my favourites too. There's something about dark spaces that make them seem more intimate. I imagine it would look even better with the right mood lighting at night...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the dark libraries have the edge over the lighter ones. It makes for a cosy relaxing space, and the red wine stains won't show up as much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol Wine stains are an important consideration! :)

    ReplyDelete